[SunRescue] Well, I got the SS20 - won my auction, anyway...

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Oct 24 13:25:43 CDT 2000

On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 01:11:35PM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
> So now I have a few questions:
> 	Are the VSIMM framebuffers any good - this unit has one (not sure if
> 4M or 8M)?
> 	Would a TurboGX framebuffer be a better choice? (Fewer colors, but
> faster?)

TurboGX is about 2x as fast (8bit desktop versus 24bit TrueColor desktop),
but, I always preferred number of colors over speed.  If you run it in
8bit, its about as fast as a CG6.

> 	Are the NFS Accelerator SIMMs still relevant with Solaris 8?

Still supported, I beleive.

> 	I plan on using the SS20 as a boot server for my two Javastations
> would this be
> 	a worthwhile investment (at about $80-90)?

Someone else will have to answer this one.

> 	I have two ROSS HyperSPARC (66 Mhz, 256K cache - don't laugh, they
> were only
> 	$25/each!) CPUs and the required OpenBoot PROM in my SS10, if I
> wanted to
> 	move my CPUs into the SS20, would the OBPROM be
> transferable/compatible
> 	(can I swap OB PROMs between SS10 and SS20)?

Yep, same PROMs.

> 	As I mentioned in my previous post, this system looks like someone
> sat their
> 	elephant on the back edge (the back panel is bent, but no plastic is
> broken) -
> 	is it possible to get just a back plate (the metal part) without
> buying a new MB?

Nope, the back "panel" is an integral part of the SS20 MB; in fact, the
SS5 (aurora 1) and SS20 cases are identical except for the motherboard;
they just slide in.

> I was amazed at how low it went for, based on what was included - CD-ROM,
> VSIMM, 128 Meg RAM, 2 HDs & trays - to bad the CPU is unknown, assumed
> SuperSPARC SM50 (based only on part in picture and cross-checking with Sun
> photo archives). I seem to have gotten the system for about the going price
> for the RAM itself ($255) - and S/H is est.
> at $12!

Not bad at *all*.  Congrats.

Bill

--