[SunRescue] Well, I got the SS20 - won my auction, anyway...

KenHansenKen.Hansen at ICTI-USA.com KenHansenKen.Hansen at ICTI-USA.com
Tue Oct 24 12:11:35 CDT 2000

So now I have a few questions:

	Are the VSIMM framebuffers any good - this unit has one (not sure if
4M or 8M)?
	Would a TurboGX framebuffer be a better choice? (Fewer colors, but
faster?)

	Are the NFS Accelerator SIMMs still relevant with Solaris 8?
	I plan on using the SS20 as a boot server for my two Javastations
would this be
	a worthwhile investment (at about $80-90)?

	I have two ROSS HyperSPARC (66 Mhz, 256K cache - don't laugh, they
were only
	$25/each!) CPUs and the required OpenBoot PROM in my SS10, if I
wanted to
	move my CPUs into the SS20, would the OBPROM be
transferable/compatible
	(can I swap OB PROMs between SS10 and SS20)?

	As I mentioned in my previous post, this system looks like someone
sat their
	elephant on the back edge (the back panel is bent, but no plastic is
broken) -
	is it possible to get just a back plate (the metal part) without
buying a new MB?

I was amazed at how low it went for, based on what was included - CD-ROM,
VSIMM,
128 Meg RAM, 2 HDs & trays - to bad the CPU is unknown, assumed SuperSPARC
SM50
(based only on part in picture and cross-checking with Sun photo archives).
I seem to have
gotten the system for about the going price for the RAM itself ($255) - and
S/H is est.
at $12!

And finally, I will have a few bits for sale, as this will definitely cause
me to let go of some
of my bits, like the following...

	SS/2 w/Weitek PowerUP, 64 Meg RAM and two drive sleds ($125?)

	32 meg SBUS expansion card (with cable) for SS/2s and IPXen ($50?)

	LX with additional VSIMM for framebuffer and 1 Gig HD ($75, more
w/RAM)?

	Maybe an Axil 245 (85 Mhz SS5 act-alike) system w/1 Gig HD, built-in
TGX+
	4 Meg framebuffer, some RAM 32 Meg (4x8 Meg SIMMs) ($150?)

	Maybe an SS10 w/SM41 CPU and 64 Meg RAM, as well as two drive sleds
	(looking for $150?)

	Axil 220 motherboard, surplus from upgrade to Axil 245 - 70 Mhz CPU
($40?)

	Misc. cables, memory (like 4 Meg LX SIMMs, 1 Meg 30 pin SIMMs, etc)
	some 500 Meg SCA drives (SS/5 pulls, no sleds) (B/O)

I'll toss through the heap this week and post a web page with better
descriptions - note,
I would be interested in trades if any one has leftover bits that might
interest me, like:

	SS/5, SS/20 memory (32 Meg please)

	Faster SS/5 MB (currently have a 70 Mhz unit)

	Faster MBUS CPUs  (well, faster than SM50)

	Creator 3D for my Ultra2 (would consider Creator 2D + cash trade for
Creator 3D)

	Long-ish 13W3 M/M and mouse/keyboard cables (2 meters or longer
preferred,
	for my "new" BlackBox KVM switch - the check went out today Mike N.,
thanks!)

Please feel free to contact me directly if interested in any of the above -
if you think my
prices are too high, please <a
href="mailto:n2vip at bellatlantic.net?Subject=Are you crazy...">Write me</a>.
Or, <a href="mailto:n2vip at bellatlantic.net?Subject=How about...">Make me an