[SunRescue] we're all just spoiled (was: re: IPC)

GregoryLeblancgleblanc at cu-portland.edu GregoryLeblancgleblanc at cu-portland.edu
Tue Oct 24 11:58:44 CDT 2000

> I thought they only went up to 2meg, and that's only up to 550mhz,
> anything beyond that is a renamed coppermine (256k).

Nay, the P-II/P-III Xeons have up to 4MB of cache (although I've heard
rumors that Intel has internal chips with 8MB), but it's NOT on chip,
it's on the riser board.  The PPro had the cache actually on-chip, which
is what made them much larger and hotter than any prior Intel CPU.

    Greg