[SunRescue] we're all just spoiled (was: re: IPC)

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak bobkeys at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Tue Oct 24 09:06:11 CDT 2000

> On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 03:11:37PM -0500, Mike Hebel wrote:
> > Like many on this list
> > I'm sure, the people around me are amazed at what you can actually _do_ with
> > an "old" computer. *grin*
> > You just have to remember you're driving a VW Bug instead of a Jaguar. ;-)

We trade knowledge that we have for the giggamegagilliwidgets the not
so knowledged PC users have, and use the knowledge to get the work done.

> One thing I used to notice back when I worked tech support at an ISP:
>
> The people who NEED good computers (ISP techs, sysadmins, etc) have
> old crappy machines held together with duct tape & bailing wire and
> trips to Goodwill.

Yeah, I sure do know that firsthand.  Boss says I get a new computer.
Cool.... but, IT MUST RUN NT4 to be compatible with the rest of the
department.  Thus, a honkin' machine that could fly a mean *BSD runs
choked NT4 as basically a wordjunk and emailjunk machine.  Oh, well...
At least it burns my *nix cd's....(:+}}...

> The people who DONT need good computers (doctors, lawyers, etc - the people
> who use their computers ONLY for stuff like email, wordperfect, lotus/
> excel, etc) have the 2Ghz 200Gig Athlons with the 24" monitors.

Exactly.   Then, my webservers sitting beside the NT (puke!) box,
are an old 486/33 (FreeBSD), an old DECstation 5000/200 (NetBSD),
and an old Sparcstation1 (OpenBSD), all happily serving out their
webstuff for teaching and archiving and that kind of thing.  I paid
out of my own pocket, 5 bucks for the 5000/200 and 8 bucks for the
SS1, in MooU surplus, just to drag the stuff back to my office.
It works great for me though.....(:+}}...

But, the joy of it is that the powers that be say nothing, and
folks without the knowledge just pass the machines by, and let
them do their thing.  They don't even have a clue what the
login prompt is for.....(:+}}...  I love that anonymity.....

Properly used Olde Junque Retrocomputing, Forever!
(The knowledge of How to do it, is the Key!)

Bob