[SunRescue] we're all just spoiled (was: re: IPC)

Cyrus M. Reed reedc at cc.wwu.edu
Mon Oct 23 19:12:55 CDT 2000

Yep, this happened when I worked at the campus computer helpdesk.  We had
one P166 with 32-64MB RAM (can't remember which exactly).  The only thing
nice about it was the 17" Sony monitor.  Oh, and the machine would crash
every other time we ran Norton Disk Doctor - that was fun.  At least three
of the computer labs at the time had PII 450s with 128MB RAM.  We finally
blackmailed a "lab spare" out of them so we could at least do our jobs
with a machine that didn't crash every 5 minutes.

I built my home dual PPro 200 MHz system when it was "trailing edge".  I
haven't upgraded since.  (Well except for adding a couple components, like
a bigger HD, another network card, and an extra SCSI card).  I probably
won't either, becuase it still beats any PII machine I've seen (course
they usually run Winblows, while mine runs Linux).  For what I do, it's
plenty fast.

-Cyrus