[SunRescue] IPC 24/200

MikeHebeldruaga at pmail.net MikeHebeldruaga at pmail.net
Mon Oct 23 12:44:06 CDT 2000

*big letters*  NetBSD!

I have had very little problems running NetBSD on my IPC boxen.  It runs
quickly and it will run nice in the configuration you've go there.

There is one exception to the above statement though - X-Windows will
probably not run for you or it will _painfully_ slow.  It would be good as a
novelty to watch the screen refresh slowly but not very good for practical
X-Windows use. ;-)

I've also heard that Debian works properly now if you upgrade the kernel to
the latest revision but I can not personally verify that at the moment.
"Dead Rat" as somebody named it (Red Hat) will definitely be too slow on
this system.

It's all in what you want to do.  IPC boxes are good for dedicated uses -
lightweight servers, etc.. but not for workstations really.

Hope this helps!

Mike Hebel