[SunRescue] IPC 24/200

Ken Hansen n2vip at bellatlantic.net
Mon Oct 23 12:35:05 CDT 2000

An old SunOS (like 4.1.4?) might be nice, or you could try an older Solaris
2.5.1, though *do not* try X Windows on a later OS - it will inhale,
deeply... ;^)

Another alternative would be to run it as an X Terminal for other
machines... Linux is a possibility, but to be honest, Sun4c hardware support
is *spotty*, and the 200 meg HD is really limiting. The various *BSDs
[net|open|etc] are probably good choices as well.

I would think hard about a larger/additional HD (or NFS mount some space
from somewhere else...), and the RAM could go to 48 Meg, but if you have to
buy the RAM, it probably isn't worth doing it (cost of additional 4 Meg 30
pin SIMMs would easily surpass the price of the machine).

Take a look at http://www.obsolyte.com/ for inspiration... His site used to
be on an IPC, but he recently upgraded to an IPX (Woo-Hoo!)...

HTH,

Ken