[SunRescue] [OT] Hard drive testing ... use a VAX!

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak bobkeys at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Mon Oct 23 08:28:53 CDT 2000

> > I am looking for either a hardware or software based hard disk testing
> > solution for my workshop. If hardware based I don't want to spend a ton of
> > $$ on a machine, if software based I really don't care what OS or machine it
> > runs on. I have a bunch of drives, mostly SCSI, I want to do comprehensive
> > tests and other things like low level formats, etc.
>
> I use a combination of an Adaptec SCSI card (I know, you guys hate them)
> on my PeeCee, and badblocks/dd on Linux to do testing/wiping of the
> drive.  Seems to have worked for me, but when I detect errors, I
> generally pitch the drive (actually, I disassemble it for parts), or
> exchange it.  I've not had good luck with keeping failing older drives
> alive.

For several years I have been using an old VAXstation 3100 class machine
to do drive ahh, err, refreshing.  The VAX does a test 75 from the hardware
prom, and if that won't reformat a drive, totally, the drive is toast.
Much better than the usual sun format programs.  It does a proper
bad-block map.  It takes longotimeo, though, about 1 hour per 100mb.
I usually turn it on overnight or such and let it take its time.
I swear by it on any type of old scsi drive.  If the thing can spin up,
the VAX can usually format it when everything else has fits.  I trust
it, entirely.  If the VAX can't format it, it is really a toasted drive.
Find a VAX, and a dumb terminal, and be happy.

Bob