[SunRescue] [OT] Hard drive testing

Berserkoberserko at thb.on.ca Berserkoberserko at thb.on.ca
Sat Oct 21 21:13:55 CDT 2000

Mike Nicewonger wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>
> I am looking for either a hardware or software based hard disk testing
> solution for my workshop. If hardware based I don't want to spend a ton of
> $$ on a machine, if software based I really don't care what OS or machine it
> runs on. I have a bunch of drives, mostly SCSI, I want to do comprehensive
> tests and other things like low level formats, etc.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions!

When I'm in doubt on the integrity of a hard drive I use "dd" (disk dump) with
/dev/zero and setup different block sizes and see what happens usually if a
drive is at all faulty it shows itself very will as in any scsi bus resets and
what notit doesn't do much for bad sectors but its good for finding wonky
drives...