[SunRescue] HELP!!! My /opt slice just died!

MikeHebeldruaga at pmail.net MikeHebeldruaga at pmail.net
Fri Oct 20 10:39:29 CDT 2000

Just a few minutes ago I rebooted my SS5 and the /opt slice didn't come up.
(Solaris 2.6)
fsck gives me:
** /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s3
BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG
USE AN ALTERNATE SUPER-BLOCK TO SUPPLY NEEDED INFORMATION;
eg. fsck [-F ufs] -o b=# [special ...]
where # is the alternate super block. SEE fsck_ufs(1M)

I looked at the man(1) page for fsck_ufs and followed the newfs -Nv
instructions and now have a whole buttload (still no definition yet) of
super-block numbers on the screen.

Where the heck do I go from here?

Needless to say I'm panicing just a little.  It's not that I would have to
re-load the machine it's just that I would like to not have to go through
the CAD software validation crap again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Signed,

Chicken with it's head cut off.  (Mike Hebel)