[SunRescue] online deal ethical q

Reagen Ward ward at zilla.nu
Thu Oct 19 17:28:47 CDT 2000

Here's an offtopic (but not entirely offtopic) question:

I sold a computer to someone via ebay, and priority mailed it + insurance.  It
got there today, a full 7 days after shipment, and was VERY badly damaged.  It
clearly took a detour to someone's home, where it was damaged; even the battery
was pried open with a screwdriver.

In such a situation, what do I do?  Do I let the buyer handle the insurance
claim, or do I refund the money and pursue it myself?  If I pursue it, I would
need the damaged eq shipped to me from CA, and who's to say that it wasn't
damaged in the second shipment?  One could argue that since I upheld my part of
the deal, he should handle things, but the buyer was very nice and prompt, so
I want to make sure he's happy with my part of the deal.

I have the insurance receipt and the shipping cost receipt with the clerk's
name on it.  He has not asked for a refund, and he did say that he'd head to
the USPS and ask what needs to be done.

What do you folks think?

Reagen