[SunRescue] OT: Good source for wire shelving...

MaxwellSpanglermaxwax at mindspring.com MaxwellSpanglermaxwax at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 17 14:34:25 CDT 2000

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Ken Hansen wrote:

> Yesterday I went to our local IKEA furnature store and got some very nice
> shelving for use with my *large* collection of systems, thought I'd pass
> along the tip...
>
> IKEA offers six and a half foot (2 meters) high by four foot wide (1.25
> meters?) by 18 inches deep (1/2 meter) wire fram shelving with four shelves
> for $64.95. Additional shelves are only $12 more, and they come in either
> black or galvanized steel. This is part of their OMAR line...

I bought these for the computer room in my basement and I'm happy with the
results.  (So: good post, Ken!)

These wire-rack shelving units are rather easy to find at other places as
well.  I bought several pre-packaged units at a variety of Targets in the
midwest for use in company offices out there.  Actually cheaper than IKEA and
appears to be the same quality.  They are pre-packaged which means you get
four posts and 4-5 shelves, and can't mix and match the various components.

Another retailer, "The Container Store" also offers Ikea-style mix-and-match
wire rack shelving.  They have a basic line and a more heavy-duty industrial
strength line that uses stronger steel and more reinforcement.  I found them
to be more expensive than Ikea, but I was able to buy them in glossy white and
put a pantry-style rack in my Kitchen.

Maxwell Spangler                         "Don't take the penguin too seriously.
Program Writer                       It's supposed to be kind of goofy and fun,
Greenbelt, Maryland, U.S.A.                      that's the whole point" - l.t.