FW: mp3 on IPX (was [SunRescue] BSD Questions)

Hatle Hatle
Tue Oct 17 10:23:53 CDT 2000

I know the SS4's had a sound module, but I think that was specific to that
model only. I don't recall ever hearing about an SBus sound card.

I'd agree with Martin- it would be better to put your effort into an LX than
try to squeeze blood out of an (IPC/IPX) turnip.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Frost [mailto:martin at dsres.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2000 10:13 AM
To: rescue at sunhelp.org
Subject: Re: FW: mp3 on IPX (was [SunRescue] BSD Questions)

Mike Hebel wrote:

> I think I'm going to hang a big SCSI drive off of the back of this box,
> replace the 8-bit audio with something else.  (I think there are some
> SBUS sound cards out there somewhere.)  Then I can just load a few hours
> worth of music on it and let it play. :-)

I've never heard of an SBus sound card, and it's sure to be more
expensive than an LX, which comes with a much faster CPU and
16-bit stereo PCM audio... It'll even take the IPX RAM as long
as it's 60ns and you have matched pairs.

I've seen LX bases as low as $55.

[memo to self: must finish the jukebox system before New Year party]

--m
Rescue maillist  -  Rescue at sunhelp.org