[SunRescue] Thoughts on a dead(?) SS20

Chris Petersen havoc at apk.net
Tue Oct 17 10:02:11 CDT 2000

Okay, I've got an SS20 base here that's a buddy's, and we're trying to
figure out what might be wrong.  Since I've not worked with Mbus boxen at
all, I thought I'd give a quick bit of detail and gather opinions.

Symptoms:

- SS20 Base w/ power supply, motherboard, SM71 module, 128MB RAM (2 64mb
DIMMs), TGX framebuffer, Type 5c keyboard

- The release levers for the DIMM sockets (you know, the little black swivel
jobs that help with removing the DIMMs) are broken on 2 of the banks (i.e. 4
slots).  Just the lever portion is broken, and DIMMs seem to sit fine.  No
physical damage noticed to socket or board in those areas, so it seems like
a minor problem (this is the reason this box was available for rescue)

- Unit powers up, gives the power up beep, and goes through POST - no error
light codes appear on the keyboard

- No video appears - we've given it approx. 15 minutes before giving up,
from previous experiences this should be enough time to wait even if there's
an IDPROM error?

- Module, RAM, and framebuffer are known good from another SS20 base

Okay, that's the details.  Any thoughts?  I could swap IDPROMs with the
other good base, but I hate to put the known working base in any jeopardy of
not working (i.e. discharging the IDPROM).

If nothing else, anybody interested in a parts box?  :)  Neither me nor my
buddy are in dire need of getting this SS20 functional, as he's got his
other SS20 and I've finally moved up to an Ultra 1/200E...

Chris

--
Chris Petersen
Systems Engineer, Industry Services, Unigraphics Solutions Inc.
Email: havoc at apk.net