[SunRescue] Multiprocessing on SM100's

DaveMcGuiremcguire at neurotica.com DaveMcGuiremcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Oct 16 17:56:55 CDT 2000

On October 16, jwbirdsa at picarefy.picarefy.com wrote:
>    I just acquired from my place of employment the brain of a 4/690. It is
> loaded up with a pair of what appear to be SM100's. Does *anything*
> support multiprocessing on these?

  SunOS4 will run on them.  SparcLinux at least used to, but only with
one board the last time I tried (several years ago).

  Do yourself a favor though...ditch them on eBay and get yourself a
nice pair of cheap, quick SM41 or SM51 boards.  You'll be glad you did.

>    I also got a 501-1902, which appears to be a combined differential SCSI/
> ethernet card. Does anybody know about OS support for that beast? I got
> a couple of differential SCSI disks to go with it, which I'd like to put
> into service sometime.

  It's a DSBE/S...basically the differential equivalent of the
501-2015 (I think) FSBE/S board.  Most operating systems shouldn't be
able to tell the difference.  I've used 'em under NetBSD and I have a
friend who's using some under OpenBSD.  They seem to do fine.

          -Dave McGuire