[SunRescue] SCSI or IDE in Ultras

BillBradfordmrbill at mrbill.net BillBradfordmrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Oct 14 19:19:48 CDT 2000

On Sat, Oct 14, 2000 at 04:57:27PM -0600, Paul Phillips wrote:
> I have an Ultra 5 at work with a 360 mhz processor (I think it has a 512k
> cache) . It doesn't "feel" as fast as I somehow would have expected.  I'm
> wondering if this is the IDE disks in action.
> If I were to rescue an Ultra 1 for home (170E), would the fact that it has
> SCSI somewhat offset the slower speed of the processor. compared with the
> Ultra 5.?
> Paul Phillips

When I had an Ultra 5/270 (256k cache) at home, and compared it to my
Ultra 1/200E (1mb cache, if I remember correctly) at work, they were
almost neck-and-neck in "felt performance" - the U1/200E's scsi disk
subsystem and more L2 CPU cache made up for the 70mhz speed difference.

When I went to an Ultra 10/300mhz/512k cache, and then to a Ultra 30/
300mhz/2mb cache, I felt big differences - its all in the cache and the
graphics card you're using.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford