[SunRescue] OT: Good source for wire shelving...

Sheldon T. Hall shall1 at columbus.rr.com
Fri Oct 13 17:55:11 CDT 2000

On Friday, October 13, 2000 10:14 AM, Ken Hansen wrote:

[snip great deal on wire shelving]

> I think that is a great deal, and if you need shelving and happen to live
> near an IKEA showroom you might want to check it out... (They *do not,*
> AFAIK, ship anything outside a normal delivery area around their
showrooms.)

They don't, _but_ the Seattle store told me that they will slap a shipping
label on something for you, and will hand it to UPS if yu can convince UPS
to pick it up on your account.  I've never actually tried that, though....

[more snippage]

> the last table I got now has a significant sag in the middle
> from a Sun 17" monitor that was placed in the middle of an 8 foot long
> folding table. It is quite humorous to look at, IMHO. (I just hope it
will
> "bend back" once I take the monitor off it!)

I wouldn't count on it.  The tops of those folding banquet tables are cheap
particle board, and the metal frame around the bottom is better at cutting
your fingers than it is at structural support.  The humidity gets into 'em
and the warp takes a "set" you can't usually get out.  I've got a couple of
swabacked tables like that, and, like the "good things in life" in the
Scotch ads, they stay that way.

The good news is that there are some heavier-duty folding tables available
that are made with a plastic top and a tube frame.  About $50-60 for a
6-footer, rather than the $30-40 for the particle-board cheapies.  We've
got one in the basement with a couple of systems on it, and it's still
flat.

-Shel