[SunRescue] Re: Rescue digest, Vol 1 #677 - 18 msgs

Chris Powell Chris_Powell at mitel.com
Fri Oct 13 03:15:56 CDT 2000

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:07:45 -0400, Mike Nicewonger wrote:

> There was a "urban legend" on how to recover the lost MAC. Although I don't
> think there is any way to recover the MAC, hence the made up bogus number.
> Remember you can replace the C0.FF.EE with just about any number in hex.

Sun will decode the barcode and four (six on some machines?) alphanumeric
code on the yellow label on top of the NVRAM for a princely sum. They are
then able to program a new NVRAM for you. I guess Sun can also get the
information from the part/serial number of the main board.

I've tried to figure out if the number represents the ethernet/hostid in
some way. Seems as if Sun just have a look up table (probably showing the
original build date, part number and revision of components etc.).

Chris.