[SunRescue] Linux framebuffer support

scohen - Stephen Cohen scohen at acxiom.com
Thu Oct 12 12:00:50 CDT 2000

Mike,

This might be a much better question than you may realize!  I salvaged an
IPX.  Solaris 2.5 GUI was dog slow.  A friend, familiar with Intel Linux,
said Red Hat sold a SPARC version.  I bought it, he loaded it and it worked,
but enlightenment/Gnome was dead dog slow.

I am not sufficiently skilled (maybe I am but just don't yet know it) to
acquire the Linux source and compile it into an operating binary.  Red Hat's
RPM is just what I need.

Realizing I might be a Microsoft-like 'lowest common denominator', I still
like the idea of swapping the GUI with sawmill/Gnome, loading and running
ethereal, and much, much more, but don't have the specific knowledge
required to start from source.

I've only 'heard' that BSD is better on the SPARC instruction set - not seen
quantifiable numbers, though.  Maybe my IPX (even with the Weitek PowerUp
upgrade taking it from 40 to 80Mhz) will never be well suited to run with a
GUI.  But it does a mighty fine job for other, less demanding, tasks.

I actually appreciate your question and the chance to say that the Linux
community, albeit Red Hat, has extended the use of an IPX such that I can
use it while still learning about it.

Regards,
Steve