[SunRescue] RE: RDI Britelite WAS (Weitek PowerUp Question ) (Mike Hebel)

EarlBaughearl at baugh.org EarlBaughearl at baugh.org
Wed Oct 11 23:06:51 CDT 2000

Just a small warning here (dunno if this will be a bit problem or
not) but the LCD display on the Britelite isn't quite stock Sun
stuff. I bought 3 of them for a research project I was working on...and
I suspect they're gathering dust in the basement of the Pentagon right
now...anyway, while it was a stock IPX (I opened up one and compare the
boards...look darn near stock...) the LCD video driver wasn't "really"
compatible with the stock Solaris one....needed the magic RDI disk.
I could get the 13w3 connector to work with an external monitor with Solaris
2.5, but without those drivers, I couldn't get the LCD to work.

Once the drivers were loaded, It showed up as a CG3 or 6 (don't remember
which) but it wasn't stock.  Also melted down two of them (drive
and LCD) by having the display closed and using an external monitor
and KBD.  Ended up replacing both the drive and display, and then for
the one that went into the field a lot, we disconnected the LCD from the
power to keep it cooler.  (The other, when we took it in the field,
we left open as a "nice white" desk lamp...and used an external monitor.
We couldn't get dual X displays to work with the LCD either....but we
didn't spend a LONG time working on that...but on the SS10's it was a
snap..)

Earl