[SunRescue] Re: Ultra 1 and 24 bit color (the "e"?)

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Wed Oct 11 22:54:10 CDT 2000

I thought I heard a "Mike Nicewonger" say:

> > On the "non-creator" Ultra 1 machines, how does one upgrade to 24 bit
> color?
>
> Very hard to do, near impossible.

I was under the impression that it was pretty easy. Not necessarily cheap,
but easy, assuming you have the UPA slot.

> > And exactly what does the "e" mean in a machine like the 170e?
>
> My understanding the "E" is for Enterprise. What that means is the two
> biggest differences, 1 being the 24 bit color of using the Creator boards in
> the UPA slot. Another is 10/100 Ethernet as opposed to 10 Mbps, and the next
> big one is Fast/Wide SCSI as opposed to Fast/Narrow SCSI.

My sun guru (a guy I worked across the freeway from at Sun) told me the
170e is not enterprise unless it says so, and that the difference between
a non-enterprise Ultra and an enterprise Ultra is that fancy plate on the
front that says Enterprise (and the hypothetical server license that came
with it). You can have an Ultra 1 model 170e that is not an Ultra 1
Enterprise model 170e (in fact, I have one sitting in the next room). The
10/100 and fast/wide scsi are accurate for the 1x0e vs. 1x0 though.

--Rob

   "And when somebody knows you well Well, there's no comfort like that
  And when somebody needs you Well, there's no drug like that" -- heather nova