[SunRescue] Pulling an NVRAM chip

MikeHebeldruaga at pmail.net MikeHebeldruaga at pmail.net
Wed Oct 11 10:37:06 CDT 2000

Unless there's epoxy holding the chip to the board you should just be able
to slide the tip of a small screwdriver under the edge at one end of the
chip.  Then you just carefully pry the chip out of the socket.

If it's truly dead then you only have to be gentle where the board itself is
concerned, you can mangle the chip all you want.

Another method would be to grab the chip at it's sides with a pair of
ordinary pliers and carefully "lean" or tilt the pliers to one side then the
other.  The chip should come out of the socket then due to the flexibility
of the pins.  If the chip does not appear to move then I don't know what to
tell you.  You could always get a chip puller at Rat Shack (Radio Shack).
The cheap ones usually look like this:

                ^
               / \
              /   \
             /     \
            /       \

They are actually more "U" shaped but you get the idea.
(IANAAA = I Am Not An ASCII Artist)

Ugly but they work if you're careful.

Hope this helps!

Mike Hebel