[SunRescue] My Sad IPC

EarlBaughearl at baugh.org EarlBaughearl at baugh.org
Wed Oct 11 10:35:54 CDT 2000

I've spent some more time with my IPC (thanks to folks for
all their good suggestions). I've tried booting to the non-OpenWin
Install for the OS, and after playing around with the memory some,
the best runs make it thru the initial and I get the message
"System Identification Complete" and then:

	Watchdog reset
	Window underflow

Memory tests work out fine.  I tried swapping memory
around and in and out (I've got enough 4MB SIMMs to fill
it up with 8 or so left over.)  I've kept similar SIMMs
together, and since the memory test never indicates any
errors, I don't think that's the problem.  I've tried
putting the fastest SIMMs in the first bank and the slowest
(I've got all 9 chip 4MB SIMMs with speeds between 60 and 80ns)
I currently have only Sun Bar coded SIMMs in it (which is one
bank of 60ns and one bank of 80ns).  Still no dice.  Someone
mentioned that there could be another problem, which could
be a problem with a controller chip.  Is there any way I can
find out whether or not this is the problem?  Is it time to
say this board is toast?

Secondly, right after I got my NVRAM (from the alternate
supplier) the one on back order from MAY came thru (like the
next day...I tried to cancel it but it had already gone out
EARLIER than they expected it to...sigh...for once I was caught
by GOOD service...and even got "free shipping"...)

So, I've now got two NVRAMS so I'd be willing to swap it
for another IPC motherboard if someone has one lying around
(I've got case, and EVERYTHING else, so I don't need yet
another set of spare parts....)

All this to add a 4c class box to my collection...

	Earl the Squirrel
	Internet : home - earl at baugh.org
		   work - baugh at revenuetech.com
	Thank you for playing stump the clown. 0-