[SunRescue] Re: Trolls and MP on rescued suns

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Mon Oct 9 14:49:13 CDT 2000

Assuming, of course, that you purchase the Sun compiler.  I certainly can't
afford their compiler, unless it's cheaper on disk space and the wallet than
it was.

>     SMP (Sun has a better SMP kernel?)

Clear Solaris wins out here, I'm sure that the scheduling things are
somewhat crude on Linux.

>     Memory (Solaris wants more memory)

As an enterprise system, who cares?  Solaris is able to do a lot more with
that ram.  As a desktop, perhaps it's an issue, but with 256MB of ram, it
shouldn't make any difference at all.

> The older the box, the more likely Linux will wring the best
> perfomance out
> of it, if you have a very new box, Solaris may run faster
> (take advantage of
> all new bells and whistles).

I suspect that for servers, Solaris is going to win every time, unless it's
a really old machine.  Certainly for any Ultra machine, Solaris is going to
be nice.
	Greg