[SunRescue] Re: Trolls and MP on rescued suns

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Mon Oct 9 13:18:50 CDT 2000

Depends on the hardware.  Linux runs MUCH better on my SS2 than does Solaris
7.  Solaris 7 runs much better on my SS20, except that I'm forced to run X.

> 2: anyone know any guru tricks for dealing with a system that
> refuses to
> properly boot after a Linux install.. for what appears to be,
> among possibly
> other things, a problem with prom settings. I manually made a
> new devalias
> to try booting, but for some reason this still, at best gets
> me to a point
> where SILO dies..  (I realize this description is not super
> detailed, but I
> suspect if it has happened to you, you will recall the event
> based on this
> info.

Yeah, make sure that you have a partition to store the kernel that exists
entirely below 1GB.  I usually make a 20MB /boot partition right at the
start of the disk to make life easier.
	Greg