[SunRescue] Re: Trolls and MP on rescued suns

Stout, Logan ldstout at broadband.att.com
Mon Oct 9 07:58:11 CDT 2000

Apologies in advance to those who find this question off topic, heretical,
offensive, or just plain bad smelling.

one or two people have mentioned running Linux on older sparc machines, so
I'm hoping someone can answer a couple of questions.

1: does it run, slower, faster, about the same? as Solaris 2.6

2: anyone know any guru tricks for dealing with a system that refuses to
properly boot after a Linux install.. for what appears to be, among possibly
other things, a problem with prom settings. I manually made a new devalias
to try booting, but for some reason this still, at best gets me to a point
where SILO dies..  (I realize this description is not super detailed, but I
suspect if it has happened to you, you will recall the event based on this
info.

Logan