[SunRescue] Re: Trolls and MP on rescued suns

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Fri Oct 6 22:52:22 CDT 2000

I thought I heard a "Stou Sandalski" say:

> Linux sucks when it comes to many different things compared to many
> different operating systems...
>
> > From: rescue-admin at sunhelp.org [mailto:rescue-admin at sunhelp.org]On
> > Behalf Of Stefan Skoglund
> >
> > Linux compared with Solaris sucks on a multiprocessor Sun. RAHHHHH
> >
> > It should suck even more on a Cray or a CS 6400 for that matter but
> > now someone ported it to that (E10k nowadays) !

Mmm, love it when the trolls come out from under a bridge. Or is it a
router? My catch phrase in response to things like this would be "* sucks"
or, for the regexp crowd, ".* sucks" ... it's all a matter of scope. I do
wonder how much OpenBSD sucks on SPARC (having run it almost as long as
I've run Redhat 5.2... quite stably on old rescued hardware).

I'm actually pondering running SuSE 7.0 on a SS20 with a pair of
hypersparcs. The last time I tried Linux on MP was an older RedHat (5.2?)
on a dual-SM100 600MP, and it didn't work at all (at least not with a MP
kernel... was fairly solid with UP).

Has anyone played with SuSE or newer Redhat on dual systems? I'll suggest
the 600MP with SM100 since those are often rescued (try to get this back
somewhere near the topic of the list), although if anything I'm more
likely to put the 600MPs out to be rescued by another good home soon.

   "And when somebody knows you well Well, there's no comfort like that
  And when somebody needs you Well, there's no drug like that" -- heather nova