[SunRescue] good news

StefanSkoglundstetson at ebox.tninet.se StefanSkoglundstetson at ebox.tninet.se
Fri Oct 6 16:35:53 CDT 2000

Stou Sandalski wrote:
> that.  A few years ago I had the oportunity to get a *FREE* Sun Sparcserver
> (forgot the number) that the electronics teacher at my highschool had
> acquired when a local insurance company closed down and donated the machine
> to the school... but the machine was/is the size of a refrigerator... and so
Could be a 4/490 or maybe a 690.
Either way take out the mb. Populate it with mbus modules
and put it in a 4/110 box. Presto a 4/490 or 4/690 in desktop
format. You are gonna need a Sbus framebuffer and dito SCSI
controller and a your pick of external disk cases.

> my parents said "No!", besides the thing had no HDs, monitor, and memory...
> I remember that it had a few power supplies, and a lot of cards and such in

Most of those had serial consoles (a computer room with necessary
a/c eq is cold and noisy...) but some were eq with framebuffers and
manic sysadmins or 50 feet of screen cable.

> bit better... yea I mean the new procs have some nifty features all the
> pre-fetch queing, pipelining, superscalar operations, and whatever else
> they've put on the newer pentiums... and they are nice, but it seems like

The memory management facilities in the 386 is impressive. Only problem
is that windows isn't really using it.

Segmented paged memory is complicated (probably why Linux isn't
using it) but if someone rewrote multics to use the 386 MMU ??