[SunRescue] Re: Re: Solaris for PowerPC

RobertNovakrnovak at indyramp.com RobertNovakrnovak at indyramp.com
Wed Oct 4 22:26:39 CDT 2000

Bill > > We've gone over this before; AFAIK Solaris/PPC will ONLY
Bill > > run on certain models of IBM 43P.

I just opened the package up, and oddly enough, RS6000 Model 43P support
was added late in the release cycle according to the installation notes.
The 43P  and "Power Series 850" are apparently identical except for SCSI
vs. IDE.

The edition I have is "LAR," or Limited Access Release. Comes with "MDB
Boot" floppies, one for IBM hardware and one for Motorola hardware. There
are two CDs, the OS and the "Desktop 1.1" CD.

> For those of you who are curious,
> http://sunsite.bilkent.edu.tr/pub/sun-info/solaris-x86/sunsoft-drivers/2.5/ppc/ppchcl.ascii
> may be a useful document regarding what Solaris PPC supports.

I glanced through the HCL that came with the bundle, and it appears to
match the one in the above url. So that's about all there is.

I will keep an eye out for additional kits for those of you looking for
the media. There's two swap meets coming up this month so maybe I'll find
something. I'll keep you posted.

--Rob

   "And when somebody knows you well Well, there's no comfort like that
  And when somebody needs you Well, there's no drug like that" -- heather nova