[SunRescue] Re: Re: Solaris for PowerPC

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Wed Oct 4 17:06:32 CDT 2000

I thought I heard a "Bill Bradford" say:

> On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 08:46:34AM -0700, Robert Novak wrote:
> > What I didn't tell my girlfriend is that this means the Alphastation isn't
> > my last computer (don't mention that Multia that came in either)... now I
> > need a PPC box to run Solaris on. :-)
> > I'll keep my eyes out for extra copies; I know one of the vendors at the
> > swaps out here usually has a pile of Solaris boxes, and I'll see if any
> > more of them are PPC.
> > --Rob
>
> We've gone over this before; AFAIK Solaris/PPC will ONLY run on certain
> models of IBM 43P.

I never said anything about what hardware it might run on, other than
saying I "needed" to look for a PPC box to run Solaris on. The Solaris
"boxes" I refer to above are the cardboard boxes containing the OS kit,
not systems. I will keep my eyes out for additional copies of the kit for
people on the list who are looking for them. I've been looking, passively,
for a couple of years and just found it last month, so I can't say what
the chance is that I'll find anything.

For those of you who are curious,
http://sunsite.bilkent.edu.tr/pub/sun-info/solaris-x86/sunsoft-drivers/2.5/ppc/ppchcl.ascii
may be a useful document regarding what Solaris PPC supports. Whether the
beta stats pass along to release, I don't know. I'll pop open the software
box tonight and see if there's a released hcl in it.

--Rob

   "And when somebody knows you well Well, there's no comfort like that
  And when somebody needs you Well, there's no drug like that" -- heather nova