[SunRescue] sun-2

Curtis Curtis
Tue Oct 3 15:14:09 CDT 2000

Per Jon's recommendation, I am forwarding this to the rescue list...

anybody that can get me moving in the right direction would be
appreciated.  BTW, my level of knowledge (at least of later Suns)
is excellent (I worked for Sun for three years, then started an ISP
using Sun equipment).  The earliest Sun's I've worked with to date
are Sun-3/3x, and 386i/486i.  Hopefully not too far different from the
Sun-2.

Anyone got a Sun-1 they want to sell (I've never even seen one :-( ).

-- Curt

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From curtis at ici.net  Tue Oct  3 15:58:04 2000
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 15:57:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Curtis Wilbar [STAFF]" <curtis at ici.net>

Hello,

  I am mailing you because you were talking about saving a sun-2 on
an internet list.

  I too am trying to rescue a sun-2 from certain destruction.  It was
given to me by a friend.  When he first aquired it the monitor was bad,
by the time he found a monitor, he found out the hard drive is dying.
It no longer boots.

  I have no problem with replacing the hard drive, I'm sure I have
several compatable drives in my "stockpile" of antique parts.

  What I don't have is SunOS 3.5 or SunOS 4.0.3 load tapes for the
Sun-2.

  I'm hoping someone out there might have these.  I have a program
(which I'll have to dig up) used to copy 1/4" tapes (I used it it duplicate
SunOS 4.0.3 beta tapes for the 386i/486i).

  I'd like to get this working, so it can take it's place next to my
Sun 486i.

  You'd think by now Sun wouldn't care about these old boxes, and someone
could put dd images or something of the various tape files from the
install tapes online somewhere.

  Any help/pointers/etc would be greatly appreciated.

-- Curt

----- End Included Message -----