[SunRescue] good news

BillBradfordmrbill at mrbill.net BillBradfordmrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Oct 2 00:26:23 CDT 2000

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 01:05:13AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   I'm just passing the six-month mark dating Ruby, your basic
> lifetime-of-dreams-come-true-all-rolled-up-into-one type of lady.

Congrats!

> We're not quite to the point of sharing a house (I live alone in a
> medium-sized house), but when we do, it'll have to be a big one.

3 bedroom, 2 bath, here, with a 2-car garage that was previously
"converted" with carpet on the floor and fake wood paneling on the
walls.  I fell in love with the garage space, and its one reason
I bought the place (plus, the pool in back... www.mrbill.net/house/
for pictures..)

> She's not really into the stuff that I'm into, but she understands
> that it's important to me and is a major (and I mean MAJOR) part of my
> personal and professional life.

I was a computer geek before Amy met me and we fell in love and she
moved in (in fact, we met on IRC.. I'll tell the story one of these
days..), so she knows what to expect from me.

>   One CANNOT pick & choose the "favorable" attributes of a life partner
> and force the "unfavorable" ones out of existence.  We are PEOPLE, not
> Lego sets.  We're atomic, self-contained, and indivisible.  Maybe I'm
> being too idealistic, but I truly believe this to be true.
>   Guys...let those wives know that this "junk" (Christ, what an
> insulting but _frequently used_ word!) is important to you...no matter
> what they think of it.  Marriage doesn't have to mean "sacrifice the
> stuff that you like".  Compromise?  Of course!  But sacrifice?

Oh - Amy's never told me "get rid of that junk" - she just FREQUENTLY
requests that I move the unused stuff to the garage space, or out of her
way, etc.  Otherwise, she starts making noises about covering it in
fabric and making it into furniture. 8-)  Every now and then she gripes
at me about needing to organize/clean up my hardware (which is "offically"
supposed to go either in the garage, or the "good" systems go into my
"computer room" - which is the one with the bay window in the house
pictures), and then I make grunting tim-allen-type noises back about
who pays the rent and provides the internet connection, etc. 8-)

I'll eventually move the bulk of my activities out to the garage, once
we get it cleaned out of cruft (some of which will be done this week, now
that the REST of the house is debris-free), and I can get some proper
flourescent lighting installed/mounted to the ceiling, and a net
connection run out there (I need to find some used RangeLAN/2 or other
wireless cards..).  Things like the VAX 6000, etc, of course, are in the
garage; I cant GET them into the rest of the house!

I guess the only time that Amy's required me to "get rid " of stuff was
back when our living room was full with a 4/670MP, extra cards, etc.  She
required that for any new stuff I got after that, I get rid of an equivalent
volume of hardware, or the house was going to bulge at the seams and explode.
8-)  So, I got rid of the 670MP and got the VAX, which was even bigger. 8-)

I really couldnt ask for someone more understanding of my strange hobbies (now
experimenting with ham radio, since I finally got my license); she just
reminds me every now and then that she prefers feminine flowerty things and
rooms with normal furniture instead of hardware chassis throughout most of
the house.

(hey amy, speak up on this one, I know you read the list!)

I think all I tossed today was an old decrepit HP Vectra 486 box, a dead
VT240, a DOA HP xterminal, bent-up 486 rackmount case, etc.  Havent gotten
to the garage yet, but most of the stuff out there has already been claimed
by people here. 8-)

Bill

--
Bill Bradford * KD5LQR