[SunRescue] can I repost your mails?

Sheldon T. Hall shall1 at columbus.rr.com
Fri Mar 31 07:07:44 CST 2000

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Do I have ya'lls permission to repost your supportive mails on
> www.sunhelp.org/support.php3?

Dear Mr. Bill:

You have my permission to re-post on the Sunhelp website anything I've
posted to the Sun Rescue list, or any other list you administer.

I think Sun is really screwing the poodle on this play.  If there is no
informal support network, only those who can afford the prices of the
formal, official support network can afford to learn anything about Sun
products.  Sun will drop right off everyone else's radar.  People are
hesitant to buy what they do not know, so Sun's lack of mindshare will be
reflected in a declining market share.

McNeally may not think so, but Sun fighting for its life.  Commodity
Intel-based hardware, combined with either Win NT or Linux, will kill Sun
and the rest of the  proprietary hardware manufacturers unless they can
broaden their base of support.  The history of the computer business is
replete with precedents; one need look no further than the "Connector
Conspiracy" section of the Jargon File for examples, though the morgue of
the Wall Street Journal will supply many others.

In an age when everyone owns a printing press and access to a
mass-distribution infrastructure, Sun really can't afford to alienate
anyone, particularly a group of volunteers who support its products.

-Shel