[SunRescue] Good x86 Laptop?

Ken Hansen n2vip at impop.bellatlantic.net
Wed Mar 29 07:44:56 CST 2000

The Sun x86 play is simple, and makes a certain amount of sense given
Suns history:

    While it is true that for end-user written/custom applications, there is a
    tremendous level of source code level  compatability, allowing an org.
    to scrap Sun hardware in favor of Intel hardware. The more likely scenario
    is for young companies that can not afford/choose not to buy proprietary
    hardware they can develop their code to SOlaris APIs, and when they
    can afford it they can migrate their existing code base to the SPARC
    platform with minimal effort.

    It also allows an organization frustrated by WinNT servers to try Solaris
    without a major hardware purchase.

So, Solaris x86 (IMHO) is viewed as a marketing expense, more than a viable
standalone market. Solaris laptops, while valued by end users, have not sold
very well due to high costs. The minimal hardware requirements for a "good"
SOlaris Laptop have kept the costs up towards the $3-5K price range. Solaris
x86 hardware needs were always was a bit ahead of the commodity laptops.

Also, with desktop machines so affordable (look at what you can get for $1K
these days), most potential laptop buyers have opted for home desktop machines
for folks that may have been a laptop candidate.

Just my opinions,

Ken