[SunRescue] Good x86 Laptop?

Chris Petersen havoc at apk.net
Tue Mar 28 15:57:56 CST 2000

> I think your best advice will be to look for older "top of the line"
> laptops,
> as was mentioned elsewhere, Thinkpads were pretty well supported, as
> were Toshiba laptops - but the higher-end units, IIRC.
>
> You may want to look into the Sun Hardware Compatability List for the
> older
> releases of Solaris x86, like 2.5.1 and maybe even 2.4... That should show
> you
> the kind of hardware that was well supported...
>
> Ken

Hrmm, especially since the laptop section of the list has barely changed
since then.  One large beef of mine with Sun, they've set the supposed
direction for Solaris x86 as "Intel Enterprise servers" (those exist?) and
as such are focusing all their support effort on that.  If you want to use a
laptop (IMHO, one of the biggest uses for Solaris x86), then you've either
got to fuss with getting Xfree 86 running, or follow Sun's advice and buy
XiG's Accelarated-X (who, BTW, used to handle all of Sun's laptop video
support anyway, as I understand it...).

I just don't understand this play on Sun's part, seem short sighted.  If
they succeed at making Solaris x86 a successful "Intel Enterprise" platform,
than I would think they'd be hurting their own sales, and by basically
ignoring laptop support all they do is encourage developers to end up using
Linux or god-forbid, NT with an X-server package...

On the other hand, if somebody were to get Xfree 86 up and working well
under Solaris, and include Sun packages and instructions, that might be a
different story.  Until then, if you want to run Solaris on a laptop, your
best bet is Solaris x86 on 2-3 year old hardware...

Chris

--
Chris Petersen
Systems Engineer