[SunRescue] SPARCbook 2 OS

Paul Khoury pkhoury3 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 27 15:35:28 CST 2000

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:13:21 -0500 (EST), BSD Bob wrote:

>> Okay, now I'll rephrase my question... =)
>>
>> Does anyone know about the SPARCbook 2?  I used to be a previous
>> owner of a 3GX, but I'm not too familiar with the 2.
>
>The SB2 is a fair machine.  It needs Solaris 1.1.1B and will ONLY run
>Solaris 1.1.1B... period.

Are you sure?  According to Tadpole's website (the Y2K status page), it says the last
version of Solaris ported to this machine is 2.3 Tadpoe edtion.

I had a copy somewhere, but can't find it now.

>> Also, is the mouse sort of keyboard based?
>
>Uses a standard Type 4 or 5 keyboard and mouse out the back.  The
>onboard mouse is the little set of keys marked with pointers.
>It is a waste to run X on it.  Use it cmdline mode only, IMHO.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

So, you can't even run Mac OS 7.1, err, I mean Solaris 2.3 (same thing, both buggy, right?)
just as CLI on it?  I really don't need a GUI, especially on only 32MB of RAM.

>> I might be lucky and still have my Solaris 2.3 Tadpole edition, but
>> is anyone else here unfortunate enough to have a copy? =)
>
>Nope, won't run on the SB2.  Sorry.

Are you sure?  Check Tadpole's website.