[SunRescue] Sun stuff from the swap meet

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Mar 25 12:40:26 CST 2000

On March 25, Paul Khoury wrote:
> Oh well, I powered it up with an adapter from my ThinkPad, and it actually works.
> HD doesn't work.
> Just disassembled the unit, and I found an extra surface mount cap loose.
> Not good, but it passed all the diags.  I was assuming the Active Matrix LCD alone
> was worth that.

  I'm sure someone can find the OS for you.

> I used to own a 3GX, but it was flaky.  Too bad, that was my first SPARC (and the fastest
> one I owned, too).
> And I thought the 3GX was proprietary - I paid 50 bucks for Solaris 2.3 Tadpole Edition
> (the system couldn't even boot 2.6, on the same drive that works on my other 7 SPARCs with
> the same CD LOL).

  The 3GX has some proprietary hardware in it, but not much.  It'll
run SunOS or Solaris out of the box.  Their proprietary drivers and
other software are (or at least, they were the last time I looked)
available for free via their ftp server.

> And 2.3 was bad (probably the equivalent of Mac OS 7.1 IMO).

  NetBSD/sparc runs really well on those machines now.  It's
refreshing to have a plenty-fast-enough laptop with a really modern OS
on it.

    -Dave