[SunRescue] The Great Ultra5/10 Cheap ATI FB Search

Pres. Dan Jameyson jameyson at amist.org
Thu Mar 23 23:24:44 CST 2000

I tried some of the "newer" ATI Rage3d-pro based cards again, and they
really just don't work. What does work, and happens to be a nice cheap
solution to us ultra 5/10 folks that want extra 24b 1024x768+ heads, are
the ATI Expert at Work PCI cards made around 1998. They are 4mb cards
(there is an upgrade module to 8mb, but I bet that's nearly impossible
to find these days). Hardware wise, it's almost identical to the onboard
24b fb shipped on the newer ultra 5. I'm using one right now, and I'm
very happy with it - super value.

If anyone has any of these, we would like (ahem, ***NEED***) a couple.
I'd also consider some of the certified 3rd party fbs, but unless I hear
otherwise, I can only trust what I know works.

Call me a sucker for surrounding myself with CRT, but I'm going for the
full on Quadraclops little workstation ;)

If I get some sort of tumor, then we'll all know why...

Dan

--
Dan Jameyson (jameyson at amist.org)                    www.amist.org
President and Chairman of the Board of Directors