[SunRescue] Dual Frame Buffers on Sparc...

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Thu Mar 23 17:18:58 CST 2000

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Fleet Captain Druaga wrote:

> Say for example that you wanted to display on two monitors or you had an
> extra frame buffer with an actual VGA 15 pin on it and didn't want to have
> to worry about which type of monitor to plug it into.  (I actually have an
> 8-bit VGA frame buffer - I love E-Bay!)
>
> I work on my Sun box at work when I'm not busy but I like to take it home
> each day and it would be nice to be able to run off of either the Sun
> monitor at work or the VGA one at home and not have to use an adapter of
> change out the frame buffer each time.
>
> It's really just a curiosity question as I don't hold much hope that two
> display cards will work at the same time.

This is Real Hardware, they will just plug in and work.  You can set the
console to either one in Openboot, and once the system is booted and X
starts you can have it start on either display individually or both
simultaneously giving you a larger desktop.  With a special cable you can
even hook up more than one keyboard/mouse to give you several completely
independent "seats", each with their own login prompt and session.

I used to run 3 framebuffers (a cg6, a cg3 and a bw2) on my SS1+ for a
desktop size of 3456x900 back in the SunOS 4.1.3 days.  Worked like a
charm.

-James