[SunRescue] Creator 2D/PCI card in Ultra 5?

Stephen Olson 4steve at nycap.rr.com
Thu Mar 23 00:09:47 CST 2000

--------------A23C5CDD45DC1CF666929931

Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> [...]

Well, I didn't believe it at first.  Would Sun actually build a case that
LIMITED the capabilities of the system.  So I took the cover off my 5 and there
it was.  A connector I have never seen before, assumed to be UPA.  I took some
pictures:
http://www.albany.edu/~so7193/ultra5.html
Well, I guess it's better than filling the connector with epoxy.

> Well, start cutting that case apart, you should be able to make it fit.  :)

There is enough room for a full length card above PCI 3 (on the power supply
side), assuming there is nothing in the top 3.5" bay.  See the pictures.  If
some kind of riser card could be built to mount the card horizontally, the case
might not be that hard to modify.  The riser card would probably be
impractical, or impossible, to build.  Not only would it have to go up, but
also sideways about 3/4" to make things fit properly.

A more practical solution might be to modify a good pee-cee ATX case to accept
the Ultra 5 motherboard and power supply.  With this setup the Creator could be
mounted just as it is in the 10.  There might be a market for an "Ultra 5
upgrade kit".  Bundle a modified case with a UPA frame buffer and a 440Mhz
CPU.  Make your 5 into a 10.

-Steve

--------------A23C5CDD45DC1CF666929931

Gregory Leblanc wrote:
and this is why
are the
are listed
that
like because
for a
on only
has room
in the FEH,
that
Well, I didn't believe it at first.  Would Sun actually build a case
that LIMITED the capabilities of the system.  So I took the cover
off my 5 and there it was.  A connector I have never seen before,
assumed to be UPA.  I took some pictures:
able to make it fit.  :)</blockquote>