[SunRescue] Sun3s

Martin Frost martin at dsres.com
Wed Mar 22 15:10:34 CST 2000

Chris Drelich wrote:

> Well, with me here I have a batch of Sun3/50s.  Im trying to
> test them out to see if any work.  The Diagnostic LEDs say that
> they are fine and booting the OS, however, I can't get anything
> to output onto the serial console.  This console is a WYSE520
> (vt420 compatible), running at 9600 8N1 on Serial port A.
> Nothing seems to happen.  Is my setup wrong or are all these
> boards broken?

On a 3/50, you need to set the diag switch to the `diag' or `on'
position for it to default to serial console. Simply unplugging
the keyboard is not good enough.

Note that the machine won't boot unattended with the switch on
diag. With diag mode, it will print messages for all the tests
it's doing, then put up a message saying something like `press
a key within 10 seconds for extended diagnostics'.

Don't bother pressing a key, instead send a break, exit the
extended diagnostic menu, and boot from the menu.

If lack of unattended boots is a problem, you can alter the
default console device within the EEPROM by using monitor
commands (can't remember what offhand).

If you don't press a key or break quickly enough at the prompt,
the machine seems to lock up. I don't know what's happening,
but maybe it's doing all its tests in a loop. Doesn't respond
to keys or breaks at that point though, only the power switch.

9600-8N1 is correct, though.

--m