[SunRescue] Memory questions

Paul Khoury pkhoury3 at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 17 14:33:55 CST 2000

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:24:52 -0800 (PST), James Lockwood wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Paul Khoury wrote:
>
>> Already done that, wasn't sure if anyone else was doing random killings also.
>>
>> But I was also wondering if any default processes eat up RAM, or maybe modify
>> some .conf files?
>>
>> And how do I disable the worthless power daemon, powerd?
>
>mv /etc/rc2.d/S85power /etc/rc2.d/DISABLED.S85power is usually my
>solution.

That worked. =)

>Other things that can almost certainly be blasted for a minimal
>standalone system:
>
>autofs (automounter)
>init.dmi and init.snmpdx (if you don't want builtin SNMP)

Don't use it yet, don't see where I would in the future.  Maybe if it was a printserver or something,
though.

>lp (if you don't print from this box)
>volmgt
>sendmail (if you don't run it, obviously)

Might run that if I learn to configure it, for email for the users on the machine

>nfs.client, nfs.server and possibly rpc if you do no NFS

Ouch, that's some stuff I use.
I suppose I could get by with the automounter, since I don't have nor plan on
getting cdroms for this box (that's what NFS is for, right?  I plan on having 4 cdroms
shared on the other SS2).

>Disable dtlogin from even starting up by doing /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -d.

Done that - dt wastes way too much memory.

>If you will do all access remotely through ssh/scp, you may want to
>consider nuking inetd completely.

What about POP3 daemons?

>Not all of these will speed things up much once the system is running, but
>they will speed up booting by quite a bit.  They will also almost
>certainly enhance security.

Good point.

How do I disable the above?
Same way, in /etc/rc2.d?