[SunRescue] Aprentiship

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Thu Mar 16 23:06:20 CST 2000

[snip]

> >Get a job as tech support with a local ISP; suck up to the
> sysadmin. 8-)
> >
> >Bill (hey, at least thats kinda how I did it...)
>
> Wish that would work for me.
> I work for Earthlink doing tech support, and am starting to
> hate it, and in such a large company,
> I'd hafta be there a while before getting close to sys admin.

It's not a matter of getting to be a sysadmin, just a matter of getting
between 1 1/2 and 3 years of tech support expierence, and them moving to a
smaller shop where you can move up more quickly.  I made out like a bandit
on that front, I got a job at a local U, started as the support guy.  I've
been there about 1.5 years, and I'm one of the two admins now, and I do ALL
of my end user support (less than 1/2 my time now) from memory.  I'm also
getting REALLY good at IP routing and most NT things.  I know, NT is bad,
but that's what the other admin knew, and he didn't want to learn anything
else.  I've managed to get 3 production + 1 test linux box in there, but I
haven't found a really good way to get any SPARCs in, and certainly not
Solaris, although I may have to read the license agreement and see if we can
use Solaris8 now.  If you spend a bunch of time making yourself an expert
(I've got three machines sitting in front of me that I'm actively working
on) in anything and everything, you can sell yourself into a good job.
Anybody know how the Boston area is for NT/Unix admins (especially people
who know how to integrate the two)?  I loved it there, and I want to move
back.
	Greg