SCSI swapping (Re: [SunRescue] a bit OT but...)

Paul Khoury pkhoury3 at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 16 22:58:03 CST 2000

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000 16:05:22 +0100, Bjrn Ramqvist wrote:

>Tim Hauber wrote:
>>
>> >Heh heh, I thought I was the only one who does "w > uptime_01".
>> >I am proud of my system, one reason I don't like to shut it down.
>> >But that's slightly a problem, because I'd like to add 2 more SCSI
>> >CD-ROMs to it.
>>
>> yeah?  plug them in and go, I know it isn't recommended, but I don't have
>> problems with live SCSI changes.
>

>You shouldn't have. It's SCSI. :-)
>
>Seriously, I use "warm/hot plugging" as often as I can on UNIX machines.
>I don't work that much with Sun computers in general, just on my spare
>time. What's the command for probing the SCSI-bus for new devices? (and
>making device files for them)

Under the BOOT prompt (ok prompt), do probe-scsi
I think SS5's and up came with probe-scsi-all (at least I had
that when I had my SPARCbook).

And you'd do a boot -r do add new devices like a tape or cdrom, but supposedly
you can add a disk without rebooting no problem - quite contrary to
what I was taught...