[SunRescue] a bit OT but...

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Thu Mar 16 14:23:59 CST 2000

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> Uhm, last I knew, this was SOP for Operating Systems.  You still have to pay
> for Solaris8 if you're going to run it on a machine with 8 or more
> processors.

No, you have to pay for it if you run it on a machine with _more_ than 8
processors.  This means E4500 and up, and a new hardware cost of over
$100K.  I can't imagine anyone who runs Solaris on that kind of hardware
not having a software support contract.

Ok, maybe a hobbyist SC2000 would count, but I doubt that's the market Sun
was thinking of when they though up these licensing rules.

Sun won't even sell you an E10k without a support contract, and I don't
blame them.

-James