[SunRescue] a bit OT but...

David Rouse drouse at arlington.newsargus.com
Thu Mar 16 12:36:48 CST 2000

>   Damned suits.  They're all inexplicably "microsoft's minions" in
> their own minds.  It's gotten so bad in some places that I've
> honestly caught myself suspecting that there are some form of
> subliminal messages in the Windoze screens or something.  There
> seems to be this "pull" toward microsoft that nobody can
> explain...not even the suits themselves.  Question them, or their
> platform decisions, and your job is in jeapardy.  Talk to their
> underlings with Windoze on their desks and the answer is invariably
> "but I *NEEEEED* it!" ...to which my favorite response is "do you
> mean you'd be unemployed if it weren't for this product?"

Most of the time it isn't the OS they are thinking about, but the
application. I try to look at it the way we look at it for our graphics
folks. They really do require Adobe Photoshop and not something that
acts like it most of the time. There are too many things that are
dependent on Adobe Photoshop's behavior that a replacement just won't
do. Indeed, there are some shops that have stopped upgrading PS, because
the new versions are different enough that they don't work correctly for
them.

For suits that critical app is MS Excel, and the good suits really are
as adept at Excel as our graphics people are at at PS. So, we give 'em
Excel.

Umm, trying to get a little closer to 'on topic' -- unless Star Office
does all the Macros that MS Office does, and in the same programming
language, etc. we will have to give the suits a PC OS to work on.

No that isn't quite it. How about this -- opening the case on a 670MP,
is there anything that I need to watch out for? Batteries that I might
need to replace? Problems I might encounter changing out RAM chips? What
is it with that 'SCSI in' and 'SCSI out' stuff anyway?

--
David Rouse
Network Manager