[SunRescue] a bit OT but...

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Mar 16 11:53:01 CST 2000

  [warning, a little venting ahead]

On March 15, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> Agreed.  I don't think that any of us needs to convince each other that MS
> has questionable business and advertising policies.  The folks that need
> convincing are the people that we work for - and they don't care to listen.

  Damned suits.  They're all inexplicably "microsoft's minions" in
their own minds.  It's gotten so bad in some places that I've
honestly caught myself suspecting that there are some form of
subliminal messages in the Windoze screens or something.  There
seems to be this "pull" toward microsoft that nobody can
explain...not even the suits themselves.  Question them, or their
platform decisions, and your job is in jeapardy.  Talk to their
underlings with Windoze on their desks and the answer is invariably
"but I *NEEEEED* it!" ...to which my favorite response is "do you
mean you'd be unemployed if it weren't for this product?"

  Do those very same suits ever walk into a construction site, grab
the blueprints from the foreman and tear them up, then point him at
a glossy page in a magazine and say "no you idiot, do this!"  Of
course not.  Ignore the advice of an industry expert hired to do a
job?  Never!

  But they do it to network engineers, the experts in *our* field.

  I'm seriously considering veterinary medicine at this point.

  [sorry, just had to vent a bit...feeling much better now]

                -Dave McGuire