[SunRescue] 'Getting started' questions

Martin Frost martin at dsres.com
Thu Mar 16 11:24:11 CST 2000

Richard Close wrote:

> I am a Linux fan, but the NFS deamon has been giving me grief
> ever since it was put in the kernel.

If you think that's bad, try using NFS and NIS to interoperate
between Solaris and Linux machines. Both rely heavily on RPC,
which fails mysteriously under heavy load on Linux. For extra
fun, then add some Windows machines hitting a Samba server on
the Linux box, but because of symlinks the files are actually
on a Solaris box via NFS. Combined with the fact that SMB
passwords are monocase, the effect of 100+ hits on the NIS
password map followed by intensive NFS RPC operation just
flattens the Linux box.

--m