Cisco vs 100Mbit (Re: [SunRescue] Re: Woah, a PCI Ultra 1)

David Murphy drjolt at redbrick.dcu.ie
Mon Mar 13 09:17:17 CST 2000

Quoting <A5F46F4ED18FD211ABEE00105AC6CF077F7DEA at email.cu-portland.edu>
by Gregory Leblanc <GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu>:

> I don't think this is really specific to Cisco's gear, I've had
> similar problems several times, especially with embeded NICs.
> Something tells me that some of these devices aren't obeying the
> "auto-detect" spec, whatever that is.

My understanding is the problem is that that spec has only been
finalised/ratified relatively recently - certainly well into the life
of 10/100 Ethernet, therefore it's not 110% reliable. That said, I
have a Sun E250 here that autonegotiates perfectly with a Bay 450T
switch - sometimes it works just fine. When in doubt, consult InfoDoc
16728 and your switch docs, and configure manually.

--
When asked if it is true that he uses his wheelchair as a weapon he will reply:
"That's a malicious rumour. I'll run over anyone who repeats it."