[SunRescue] Wacky devices + other questions

sparcy sparcy at proxy.goblin.cx
Mon Mar 13 06:07:51 CST 2000

> On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, sparcy wrote:
>
> > Ah okay a microphone. Neat!, I remember seeing those little plastic brackets, so I've should've
> > taken on of those too.
>
> Don't worry too much, the microphones aren't great.  If you do any serious
> audio conferencing or recording you'll want to pick up a better one.
>
> > I looked at the bottom of it, and it says type 5. I'll try some newspaper
> > paper today (as other people suggested) if that doesn't work good enough
> > I'll buy such a pad. 12 bucks is doable.
>
> The newspaper trick will only work with type-4 mice, which will track
> (although poorly) on almost any surface with contrast variations (worn
> blue denim even works).

Hmmm, that's a shame. I'm at work now so I can't actually test it out.
I first tried the type-5 on a wooden table which didn't do anything,
than I tried a mouse pad (a really wilde colourfull one) which works
pretty sort of okay (but still far from perfect) so that's what got
me to ask this question. But if I understand you correctly it's not
so much the print on it but has more to do with the actual surface
of it (little dents ?))

> You can also get brand new type-6 optomechanical mice from Sun for $35/ea,
> or the older type-5 optomechanical mice for $39/ea.  My order of
> preference goes something like:
>
> Type-5 optical
> Type-5 optomechanical
> Type-6 (optomechanical)
> Type-4 (optical)
>
> I like the feel of the type-4 keyboards but the layout and extra keys of
> the type-5.  The 5's also feel a bit flimsier to me.

Excuse my total ignorance on this subject, but what's the difference between
an optical and optomechanical (I'm guessing the optomechanical also has
some mechanical parts (an additional ball ?))

> You got such a good deal on the SS20 (each of those CPU modules usually
> goes for close to 200 US $ used, that system with monitor is worth close
> to 10x what you paid) that you can probably afford the mousepad.  Part
> number 370-1399.

Seriously ?

Wow.

Well, since I didn't know much about Sun hardware I just told the guy,
I'll give ya 75$. Since it seems that he knew nothing about computers (he had a
286 PC thing for sale for 100$ - *without* a monitor - no thanks :) he said okay.
I also got 2 sparcstation-2's there for $25 (telling him I needed the floppy
drives in them (which I actually did - to try to boot my SS20))

So you're right I might aswell spend some money now to get that mousepad.

He still has one of those 20" monitors, a sparc array and a sparc server 1000
there. I guess I can get these quite cheap too. I was looking for some
specs on both of them but still haven't found much usable for either
(even less on the sparc array). Neither sunhelp.org or docs.sun.com helped
me much further, although I might have been looking in the wrong places.

Anybody know a good spot which gives some info on sparc arrays/sparc server
1000 ?

Thanx for the info, james!

Cheers,
sparcy.